Friday, April 4, 2014

Like, OMG, How Could You Not Have a Boyfriend Until Now??!?!11

Hello friends,
So something pretty exciting (to me, anyway) went down on March 31st this year. We have been putting it off for a pretty long time, actually. And no, I haven't decided to start talking like Golem and refer to myself as a plural. I'm now in a relationship!
Sam and I have known each other since the Allentown School of Rock opened (sorry, I don't know the exact date). We joined at the same time, actually, and Pink Floyd The Wall was both his and my first show. I guess you could say he was my first friend in School of Rock, though we didn't really talk much. I was too shy and he was too excited to meet other guitar players (*cough*apparentlybassistsaredifferent*cough*).
Anyway, we also both did the same second show, Modern Rock, which was a lot of fun. I'll admit, I probably could've been nicer to him (I picked on him a lot). But in all fairness, he did smack my bass into the wall (even though he was practically in tears and apologized about a dozen or more times).
Moving on, Sam decided to do some shows at Easton, and for a while, I didn't see much of him. I had convinced myself at the time that I was loyal to Allentown and I wasn't going to do any Easton shows. Well that all changed when Duane announced that the Easton Saturday show was The Best of Radiohead. How could I resist? So I did two shows that season (MTV Unplugged in Allentown and Radiohead in Easton) and I think something changed in our friendship over that show. Once he realized how much I had progressed and matured as a musician, and how challenging my parts were, I think he gained a newfound respect for me.
Then we come to Dance Rock, when I finally left Allentown. And I know, I know, this story better be heading somewhere! Trust me, I'm getting there. I'll cut straight to the exciting part just because this post is becoming longer than I had intended it to be.
In October of last year, a bunch of the School of Rock kids took a group trip to Dorney Park for the Halloween Haunt, including my best friend, Sophia, my good friends Justice and Evan, and Sam was there too. When I got home from this trip, Sam had posted a "Like for inboxed truth is." or something like that on Facebook. So I liked it because I almost always like those kinds of things, and then I got the message and yeah..

To sum it up, he got all awkward, told me he liked me more than a friend and that I'm "very pretty, kind, funny and an amazing bass player", and if I didn't feel the same way that's okay and that he just didn't want to ruin our friendship no matter what happens.

I guess I was a bit overwhelmed when I read it, 'cause it didn't really sink in until I had read it about two more times. Then I broke down sobbing. Yeah, Libby handles big news really well.
Anyway, I eventually wrote him back and told him I needed some time to think about it. I'm not going to explain why, because that's a really personal matter.

So almost six months roll by, and finally everything is worked out (for the most part). I had to give him some gentle encouragement, but he asked me out again and, well, here we are!

So the other day I was texting a long-distance friend of mine and I told her the news and when I said he was my first she was shocked. (She's a few years younger than me) She just didn't understand why I didn't have a boyfriend until now. I never got why it's so important to some people to have a relationship as soon as they hit the teen years. Like, what's the big rush? And yeah, we all want to have fun with our teen years and part of that is meeting people and falling in love and all that jazz. But there shouldn't be any hurry. I'll admit, I was feeling kind of crappy when all of my friends started getting into relationships and I felt like no one was interested in me. But I'm sure a lot of kids feel that way, and even when you try to convince yourself that it's stupid to feel bad, sometimes you can't help it. My advice, if you want to hear it, (and this isn't me with some kind of newfound strength now that I have a boyfriend, I would've said the same thing before Sam and I started dating): Enjoy your time being single. Dress to impress, or whatever makes you feel confident about yourself, and have fun!

Sam, thank you for being so patient and never pushing me to move things along. I'm so happy to have you in my life, and I look forward to making some great memories with you.

Rock on!
~Libby

No comments:

Post a Comment