Friday, April 18, 2014

My Nose Piercing Experience

So today is the day, I'm finally going to recap my experience with getting my nose pierced!
I've been wanting to write about this for such a long time but I'm lazy, so I kept putting it off.
Now firstly I'd like to say that if you're reading this for educational purposes, I'm going to state the obvious: I'm not an expert. Also, I'm just sharing my own personal experience; yours could be entirely different. Now that that's all out there, time to tell this story!

I had just turned 15 years old (on 4/11). The date was April 19, 2013. But for a few months now I had been doing my research. Originally, I was considering an eyebrow piercing. But after I had visited a few different websites I ran across an article about the nostril piercing and I decided I liked the nose piercing better. Plus, my fringe would probably cover up the eyebrow bar anyway.

Then came time to talk to my mom about getting the piercing. I brought it up a few times to her and she kept brushing it off, so I decided to take a different approach. I sent her this long email about how I wasn't trying to rebel and how my grades were good, I had done tons of research, yadda yadda. I wouldn't do this unless your parent isn't taking the time to hear you out; that was my case. Try to talk to them in person if you can.

Anyway, she read my email and then we talked about it and eventually she reluctantly agreed that I could get it done, as long as I paid for it. Oh, and she really wanted me to go to a specific place. It was the same place my uncle got all of his tattoos.

Sometime after that I called the place with some questions. It's called The Quillian. The guy I talked to was really sweet! I wanted to know if I had to make an appointment, which I didn't. I also asked about the gauge of the needle, because my mom was worried about scarring.

Then came time to go and actually get it done. I can't really say I was too nervous, from what I can recall. We did have to wait a little while, but that was okay. It was a really nice place, and if I ever get any tattoos or other piercings I'd like to go back there. The lady who pierced me was named Desiree (she actually follows me on Instagram!). She threatened that if I passed out she would draw a dick on my cheek, so that was reassuring. XD

The actually piercing process was fairly quick. After she had marked my nose and showed me the ring, she cleaned out my nose and stuff. Yes, it's a slightly awkward feeling having someone stick a Q-tip in your nose, haha.
So after she cleaned it she explained that she was going to tell me to breathe in and out once, and then again. And the second time, as I was exhaling she would stick the needle through. So I did that and she pierced my nose and put the ring in. And yeah, I may or may not have yelled out some expletive, I don't actually remember XD. For that split second when she stuck the needle through it hurt. (On a pain scale of 1-10, it was about a 5)
I've read that a lot of people are sore for the following days. I wasn't sore at all. Not even when I flared my nostrils. The first few times I cleaned the piercing it did bleed a bit, but that's normal; it is a wound after all. My cleaning routine was: Clean the ring, hole and area around it twice a day with Dial soap, as instructed by Desiree. Most people recommend using H2Ocean, but I didn't get any. My nose never got infected, and it was overall a decent experience. I did end up replacing the sterling silver CBR (Captive Bead Ring) with a stud, which I got from Spencer's. The studs I wear are surgical steel. I also went down a gauge size somewhere along the way (I went from an 18G to a 20G).

I think one of the questions I got asked the most after I got it done was "why?". Honestly? I think they look nice. That's all, I promise. I didn't do it to be a rebellious teenager and make a statement, I just did it because I wanted to. Still, not everyone is going to respect that, and if you're thinking of getting a piercing you'll need to prepare yourself for that. A lot of my family members didn't like it, and even some of my friends. But that's okay, because I was really happy with it, and I still am. That's all that matters.

Rock on!

No comments:

Post a Comment